Friday 5 January 2018

An experiment

The latest thing I am trying with my therapist is to not weigh myself as much as I usually do.
Averagely at the moment I weigh myself six or seven times throughout the day.
It’s really a habitual thing more than anything.
I believe it’s a common thing for us ED sufferers to do. More than anything it’s reassurance isn’t it? Reassurance that we haven’t slipped too far, put on too much.
I’m trying over the next fortnight to only weigh myself once in the morning and once before bed.
At first it was a scary thought, really scary, like I’m going to lose control.
But then I thought about it, and actually it doesn’t mean I’m going to lose any more control than I would have if I were weighing myself the usual amounts.
It’s a habit I’ve gotten into and come to rely on, but it’s unhealthy and I know that deep down.
I’m feeling quite confident that I can manage to resist the temptation of the scales.
I know I’ll be anxious about it, but I have to keep reminding myself that Beelzebub is wrong when he tells me I need to weigh myself. That won’t rid me of the anxiety. All weighing myself religiously will do is give me momentary peace and then more anxiety will build until the next weigh in.

I have to ride the wave of the anxiety, stay strong, stay away from the scales, stay distracted, until the anxiety passes. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Time to talk eating disorders . All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig