Monday 22 January 2018

Periods are never fun

I don't think I know of any person who enjoys getting their period, I have definitely always hated mine. Even before I was unwell, it was something I dreaded.
This post may be a bit 'gross' to some people, but I think that reinforces that eating disorders need to be more widely spoken about so that people accept and face up to the struggles that sufferers face.
I've always had very painful periods but the one that just recently started seems worse than ever.
It may be that I haven't had a proper one for so many months now that I forgot what it was like, it may be the utter shock to my bodily system that I weigh enough now to have them, I don't know. But it's horrendous.
I know my period returning is a big sign of being in recovery - I should be happy about this, because I do want to get better. But it also carries a feeling of impending doom.
I say so often to my therapist, I find the hardest part of my eating disorder to be battling against it with logical thoughts.
For example, when I eat something and my ED says 'you're disgusting you're fat look at the state of you'
I have to reply with logic; 'I know logically you are wrong because I know what I weigh and I know the guidelines of what a healthy weight is'.
It's like that with my period. As soon as it arrived Beelzebub is telling me I've failed, I weigh enough now for my period to come normally, that means I'm fat.
I know LOGICALLY this is wrong - I know my weight has gone up slightly but is still classed as underweight so how can I be overweight? I know billions of perfectly healthy, beautiful women have periods every day and they aren't disgusting or fat. I know my period is a good thing, a sign that I'm getting better.
But these logical thoughts vs my eating disorder are so hard to manage. Because Beelzebub is still strong, to the point my human non-ED brain sometimes even says but fuck logic.
It makes it so much worse than my period leaves me physically tired and emotionally drained so I have less energy to fight ED.
I think the worst part of my period is that alongside the period pains, I have pains from laxatives. Anyone who has been through this mixture - I salute you.
It is nothing short of horrific.
The pains are crippling.
You don't know what your body needs or wants, all you know is that it's screaming with pain.
God knows there is no over the counter painkiller in the world that can make a difference.
I slept last night for fourteen hours, clinging onto a hot water bottle teddy bear. Now don't get me wrong, I know there are far greater physical pains in the world, and if I think long enough then I know I've experienced worse.
Unfortunately periods have a clever way of manipulating your hormones and turning them from quite rational little beings into near psychotic, tearful little hurricanes. So it becomes hard to remember that the pain will pass and it could be a lot worse.
I know I am getting better, I just have to focus on that.

The bottom line is that your period may be one of the most difficult parts of recovery.
(This is not at all to say that boys and men don't have eating disorders, of course they do but without a willybob I don't know what equates to a period for you guys!)
All I can say, to both men and women, is do your best to persevere.
Girls, when your period comes and you feeling defeated, like a failure, please do not give up. Crawl into bed and curl up with a hot water bottle, watch a happy film or nap. Then when you wake up hopefully a little blue sky will come through the grey and you must tell yourself you are not a failure. A women's body was made to have periods, it's a gift really because it symbolises reproduction.
If you have your period then you are beating your eating disorder, even if it's only in a very small way, you should be proud of that.
To anyone lucky enough to be in a relationship or to be friends with someone who is suffering, remind them what a gift from God they are to the world.
Period or no period, an ED sufferer often feels like the worst thing alive, tell them whenever they need to hear it that they are far from this. Also, high five to those who love and support sufferers, it's not easy job I know. I also know that they appreciate you more than you'll ever know.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Time to talk eating disorders . All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig